Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Just a number...right?

I don't like weight gain.

I don't like watching the numbers on the scale go up.

I know that it is going to happen.

I know that there is a VERY good reason for the numbers going up.

I still don't like it.

I think the reason for my dislike comes in two forms.

1. It took a long time for me to get to a weight I was happy with and I've proudly maintained that weight for over three years.

2.  The "goal" my doctor gave me.

Reason number one I can live with.  I will get back down and I know that I'll be ok. 

It is reason number two that has me stressing.

A little info on me... I am not small.  Nothing on me is small.  My hand and feet size rival my 6-4 husband's.  I am tall and "big boned."  I will NEVER be a tiny size 4 or even probably an 8.  I have made my peace with that a long time ago. 

But...

According to all the expert height and weight charts, pre-pregnancy weight classified me as mildly over-weight.  I am (or was) about 10 lbs. over weight.  BUT, I eat decently, I am generally active, and I feel like I live a relatively healthy lifestyle.

Now...back to my doctor and that "goal"

She said I should gain anywhere from 15-20 lbs.  Total.

I'm at the 15 mark.

With three months to go.

I feel great.  I don't think I look like I've gained too much.  I have had numerous people tell me how great I look.  (I don't think they're just being nice to the pregnant girl either because, they are shocked when they find out how far along I am). 

But I'm stuck on that stupid number.  15-20.

Is it realistic? 

I have no idea how much more I can expect to gain.  I have no idea how much water I'm going to retain in the next 12 weeks.  I eat more now than I did before, but I eat when I'm hungry...not just to eat. 

I do know that expecting to gain less than 5 pounds in the last 3 months of my pregnancy is probably a long shot.

Stupid number.

1 comment:

lkj said...

Jillio, don't worry! They wanted me to gain 30 pounds and I gained over 60!! I quit looking at the scale actually. It all came off with nursing. You'll be fine!! :)