Sunday, January 8, 2012

Looking Forward

"You better enjoy that now before that baby comes, because after she's here, you won't have time for it anymore..."

If I had a dime every time someone has said that to me since Ethan and I started telling people we were having a baby, I'd have a good jump on her college fund by now. 

The fact is, I know things are going to change.

I know there are things that we do now and enjoy that will happen less. 

I know that alone time for me will become an oddity.

I know that life as E and I know it is going to be a things of the past.

And you know what?  I'm ok with that.  In fact, I welcome the changes.

And rather than dread the end of the life I have known, I would rather look forward to the many ways my life will change.

Such as...

~  Meeting little baby Jackie.  We've been talking to her all this time about how excited we are to see her.  I can't wait to see if she has a head full of dark black hair like mine, Ethan's long skinny fingers and toes, or how ticklish she'll become.

~  Seeing Ethan hold her for the first time.   Watching him attempt his first ever diaper change, and his second.  Watching how all the things that were making him nervous about having a newborn become like second nature to him.  I have all the confidence in the world that he will be a wonderful daddy.

~  Introducing little Jackie to KC and Breck.  I'm hoping that meeting will result in a life-long love for dogs.

~  Rocking her to sleep at night. 

~  Watching her grow and try to figure out all of life's secrets. 

~  Her Baptism with so much of our family around.  What a special day for her.

~  Jackie's first smile, coo, and giggle.  Then figuring out all the things that make her smile and giggle.

~  Taking a picture of her and Ethan taking a nap on the couch.

~  Her first Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.

~  Figuring out what fun ways to tell everyone when she will be a big sister.

~  Taking family walks with the dogs (hopefully...)

~  Reading storybooks before going to bed.

~  Taking pictures at the hospital with big sister Jackie and her sibling(s).

~  Family vacations to Colorado for a ski trip or to see the Rockies play!

~  Watching our kids' faces light up when we tell them we're going to Grandma and Grandpa's house.

~  Seeing Santa Claus come to life again!

~  Reading Bible Stories at night and watching them learn how to pray.

~  Trading in the truck because we need more seats for more babies!

~  Going to the swimming pool every day in the summer.

~  Traveling to soccer, basketball, baseball, water polo, piano, ballet, or whatever kinds of activities our kids will want to try.

~  Teaching that a S'more is the greatest thing about a campfire.  Watching them roast their first mallow!

~  Going trick-or-treating... and picking through their candy baskets after they have gone to bed! 

~  Family pictures.

~  Easter Egg dying and hunting.

And much, much, more.

Why would I want to dwell on the things I won't get to do as often once the baby comes, when there is so much more to look forward to? 

No comments: