Thursday, August 21, 2008

Guy Friends

For some reason, I have always been able to make friends with guys easier than girls. I do have many women friends, but my really close friends who I keep in touch with the most, go to for advice, and have the most in common with are all men. My interests and attitude tends to be more "guy like." I hate the girly drama that tends to follow women when we travel in packs, and I just don't put up with it. I am not a fan of chick flicks, for the most part (there are a few classics that I enjoy), but the more car chases and things blown up there are the more I like the movie. I like to drink beer and don't like the "girly drinks." I hate shopping. Well, I don't hate, hate it...but I shop like a guy. I go in, get what I need and get out. I cannot shop all day...eww! I enjoy sports and teach in a male dominated area (social studies...very few women). And there are many more examples. One or all of these tend to make it easy for me to strike up a conversation with a man, that many times, leads to a long friendship.

I have come to appreciate my guy friends more and more over the years. Especially since I've started dating more. Any time I need advice or have a question, they are right there with a very honest and easy to understand answer. I trust what they say, because I don't get the "ohhh, it's OK, he's just being a jerk" answer from guys...I get the "Oh calm down, you're worried over nothing, stop over-reacting!" I know that what they tell me may be blunt, and I may disagree, but it is honest to goodness no BS!

Now, just because I have interests along the same lines as men that doesn't mean that I'm not a full-fledged woman (and proud of it). I love to wear cute clothes, I have WAY too many shoes, I've had my wedding planned for years, I am addicted to pedicures, I over-analyze situations, and I am really picky about the decor of my home. I do believe that once I find a good balance between my tom-boy side and girlie side some lucky guy will get to enjoy the best of both worlds!

No comments: