Tuesday, July 31, 2012

If it is good for you... it must be expensive

I just got back from the grocery store.  I typically try to make one big monthly run to the store and then just go back for items that we constantly use up, bread, cheese, milk, etc...

That store run is usually a good chunk of change depending on how many new recipes I am trying or whether it involves getting a lot of meat.  (We bulk up on meat when it's on sale and try not to get it every time.)

Today was different. 

Tomorrow I am beginning a 24 day challenge to become healthier.  Even though I hope to lose some weight on the challenge, that is not my primary motivation.  I want to be a better, smarter eater.  Learn how to take my everyday foods and meals and make them healthier.  Eat less process foods and more whole grain goodness.  I am very excited about this and have been waiting all summer for just the right time.

Today I grabbed my list full of fresh fruits and veggies, whole grain/wheat products, and many other healthier options and headed out the door full of excitement.

I returned, still enthused about the challenge, but not so excited about the items in the grocery bags.

Apparently shopping for healthy food has a language a lot like apartment shopping. (Cozy studio = bed in bathtub)

"Whole Grain" = expensive

"All Natural" = not on sale

"Fresh" = a few more quarters

"Low Sodium" = not in the store brand

It amazes me that peanut butter that has NOTHING ELSE IN IT EXCEPT PEANUTS costs more than the peanut butter with other (yummy) ingredients.  Shouldn't the item with less in it cost less???

I know what all you "health-experts" are going to say...

"It's a choice of what MATTERS.  Put more money in to good, healthy food and less in to something else."

Or...

"Think of it in long term.  Healthy food now, less medical problems and costly prescriptions later."

Okay...you win.  I can spend a little more for whole grain bread and natural peanut butter and change my lifestyle so I am healthier in the long run. 

But when I look to my future and see a houseful of kids and trying to fix many peanut butter sandwiches for lunch, I'm struggling with how to make this a permanent habit not just for me, but for my kids (and hubby if he so chooses...) AND be able to afford it.  Because food prices aren't going to go down.  And coupons are made for processed meals and junk that we don't buy.

I know that making small changes will pay off big.  I just hope that my paycheck doesn't become small change...

No comments: