Tuesday, December 2, 2008

State "Trivia" Assessments

Teachers of all kinds are required by the state to teach certain information to students. It is outlined in our state standards what specific criteria the students are required to learn. Those of us who teach core subjects (math, reading, social studies, and science) also have to pay special attention to those that indicate "testable material." I teach social studies. According to the state, those "testable indicators" consist of material that should be vital to students understanding of history, geography, economics, and government. Now, I love my subject, and I believe that having knowledge about social studies will make a person a more well rounded and intelligent adult. BUT...you can be a full functioning adult, with a job, family or whatever you choose without that knowledge (not that I recommend it...). Tonight I have spent the better part of my evening creating a PowerPoint lecture for my kids that is filled with random trivial history that the state has deemed "testable." This is not the first time I have been frustrated with what KS thinks students need to know...Honestly can we be a full functioning, well educated adult without the knowledge of the following events?

~ The Sand Creek Massacre
~ The Monroe Doctrine
~ Benjamin "Pap" Singleton
~ The Court case of McCullough v. Maryland

Seriously...trivia questions that show up on a state assessment, and frustrate me. Why? These tend to be the more boring historical topics that the kids will memorize for the test. What a waste of time!

***Author's Note***
I spent probably about 10 minutes at the beginning of class today being drilled about my social life and E (who he is and what he does), so I guess not everything in my class is based on state standards... :)

No comments: