Monday, December 22, 2008

"Because Everyone Else Does"

One of the childhood favorite responses is "because everyone else..." I remember using those words to try and stay out later, or get the newest CD, or desperately try my parents for anything. And the usual response is "well...if everyone jumped off a bridge, would you want to?" As I have reached adulthood (sometimes that's still debatable) I have found myself uttering the would-you-jump-too phrase. But I still find myself saying...well, everyone else gets to. There are times in life when we should definitely NOT do something just because everyone else does, but there are also times when I think it is OK to "run with the pack."

Here are some things we should NOT do "because everyone else does"

~ Buy homes that are too expensive

~ Wear legging with a big shirt/dress and furry boots. (That style is not for everyone folks!)

~ Get a boob job. (or a face lift, or liposuction, or botox)

~ Be in a more serious relationship than you are ready for. Just because your friends are getting married and having babies does NOT mean that you have to!

~ Sing loudly. There are some people who really should take up a non-vocal activity.

Times when I believe that it is definitely OK to follow the crowd.

~ Vote. No, I don't mean voting for the same candidate, I mean voting in general. We should all vote.

~ Learn how to use cell phones and computers. It's the technological age people...you may not like it, you may wish for simpler times in the past, but it's here. Deal with it, and learn!

~ Try something new. Whether it's a new dish off of the menu or learning ti-kwan-do, trying new things can open doors to whole new worlds.

~ Read. If millions of people like a book, there's a really good chance that you might like it to. Take the chance. What do you have to lose.

~ Get out of school on Friday before Christmas. Everyone else is done with school and enjoying their break with family...Me, I'm still in school. UNTIL TUESDAY, DEC. 23!!! How I wish our school would "follow the crowd"

No comments: