Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Scruff

Yesterday was my little brother's 23rd birthday. Joe, the third born to our wonderful family, has been dubbed "Scruff." I don't know why I call him that, just something that started a while ago. I'm not sure if he likes it when I call him that, but I do it anyway...and will continue to call him Scruff until we are well into our 70s.

Out of all my siblings Scruff and I are probably the most alike. We share similar temperaments, likes/dislikes, are very competitive, we both have undefeated state basketball title (although my game was more exciting and we were 4A not 3A), and tend to be a little more layed back (although Jamie and John might disagree).

There are so many wonderful things about him, I thought I might share what I most admire about Scruff.

~ His laugh. He has this deep belly laugh that just makes everyone in the room want to know just what is so funny.

~ His athletic ability. Joe is so talented in every sport he decides to try. He played football, basketball and baseball in high school, played baseball at Pratt CC and Emporia State U, and has recently taken up golfing. I believe the guy could decide he wanted to become a curler and he would have success.

~ His loud voice. Something else we share, we both have volume control issues...although mine is all the time, and his just happens after a few beers...

~ Joe cannot tell a lie. He's a dead give-away. I love it!

~ His people skills. Scruff is someone everyone knows and or they want to know. He's who you want to hang out with at a party, at work, or at church.

~ His love for Bryson. Little B is just over a year and Joe is learning and growing as a parent and doing the best he can to be a good example to B.

This list could go on and on. It is true how much closer you are to your siblings as adults than you were as kids living in the same house. I hope things never change!

No comments: