Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Bird

One of my best friends is getting married in less than a month. Bird. Actually her name is Bridget, but in middle school it was decided that her name sounded like "Bird-Sh*t" and since that was not allowed in school, it was shortened to Bird.

Bird and I went to school together from the fourth grade on. However through middle and high school we were what I like to call "sports friends." We played on the same team, went to the same church, and were polite to each other, but we weren't the "Friday night" friends.

Then college came, and I went to play volleyball at Hutch Juco and she went to KU. While I played volleyball and gained a personality, Bird would occasionally come to Hutch to visit her boyfriend at the time (who played basketball). We would get together every now and then when she was in town at a ball game or go out to lunch and catch up. Eventually she moved on to Emporia State and I was looking to transfer there after Hutch. I needed a place to live, and she had a room open in the house she was living in. As fate would have it I moved in with her in the fall of 2003.

In two short years of living together we went from "sports friends" to "bridal party" friends. Now she is getting married and I get to wear a very pretty Burgundy colored dress while we drink the night away dancing all the cheesy wedding dances. (I better have lots to drink before we get to the hokey poky)

1 comment:

Casey said...

I think I've met her...tell her congratulations for me! and If I'm thinking of someone else, well, you can still tell her congratulations for me. The "Bird sh*t" thing nearly made me spit out my coffee...there's no age like middle school to come up with great nicknames for friends/enemies. And I am shocked that my sweet baby cousin even KNEW that word in middle school!