Thursday, February 16, 2012

Pardon me, but do you have the time?

I have an obsession with time.

I'm not exactly sure when this obsession started, or when I finally aknowledged it as an "obsession."  I do know that for as long as I can remember I have wanted to, no I have NEEDED to know what time it is...at any possible moment of the day.  Multiple times.

I can remember getting yelled at by my college volleyball for looking at the clock during practice.

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING?  COUNTING DOWN THE MINUTES WE HAVE LEFT TO PRACTICE?!?!?" 

Nope.  Really I just want to know what time it is.

I know exactly what times I wake up in the middle of the night, and count up how many hours of sleep I got each morning.  I report both to my husband faithfully.  (He has been well aware of my time obsession since long before we were married.)

I know, down to the minute how long it takes to get from my driveway to the parking lot at school.  As well as how long it takes between each turn I make to get to work. 

I have timed the trip from our driveway to the hopital exit and from the school to the hospital exit multiple times. 

If I think, even for a little bit, that I'm going to be late for something, I actually make myself sick with worry.  I HATE BEING LATE.

I also hate being too early, but not as much as I hate to be late. I want to be just a little bit early, but never late.  10 minutes early is right on time in my book.

I have a clock in every room in the house (except the bathrooms...but don't think I haven't thought about it).  I hate it when the power goes out.

I can't work out on a machine without looking at the clock a hundred times.  When I swim, I time how long it takes to swim a lap (I could do a 500 meter swim in less than 8 minutes when I was swimming everyday...that's 10 laps on 50 meter pool). 

I understand my obsession is mine alone and I try not to burden others with it.  (Exept my husband...but he know what he was getting into).

I have tried to think of where this might come in handy with my life (other than being on time for things), and so far the only things I can think of are 1.) when I have to start timing contractions and 2.) if I ever witness a crime and the lawyer asks me "What time was it exactly when you saw ____?" 

I will honestly be able to answer that question.

No comments: