Friday, February 3, 2012

My Progressive Era

Right now I am discussing the "Progressive Era" with my 7th grade students.  It is called "Progressive" because of the political, social, and economic changes that were made during the period.  I take this time to talk to my kids about change and how it is not only a good thing, but that it is also necessary in life.

In order to "progress" into the future we must be willing to change.

Change can be a little scary.  It can be difficult.

But again it is necessary.

This gets me thinking about my life and the changes that I have gone through in the last 3 years.

Specifically my personal life.

I believe that these changes (dating, to engaged, to married, to selling a house, building a house, and expecting a baby) have all been great additions to the story of my life.  When I think about it, they have been easy to embrace, and they have made my life so much better.

When I look at my professional life, that's when I start to really wonder....

Have I changed enough? Have I done enough to progress my teaching into the future? 

Then it hits me.  If I have to ask the question, the answer is obvious.

No.

Now what?  I've identified the problem.  Now the hard part.

Change.

How much change is necessary to make me the teacher I want to be? 

What is a realistic goal?

When should I start?  I know "now" sounds like the obvious option, but I possibly can't fit another thing on my plate at the moment, I have state assessments to prepare my students for and a long-term sub to get organized and ready in 6 weeks.  Changing my lessons around and adding new activities is not going to happen any time soon.

All I know for sure is that change is in the air.

Consider this the "Progressive Era" of my teaching.

It will probably be difficult.  It will involve a lot of work, trial and error, time, and possibly be a little scary. 

But it will be good.

And it is necessary.

No comments: