Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Like a Good Neighbor...

I love, I mean L-O-V-E our new house.  Sometimes I walk through it staring at each room in awe that I actually get to live here.  There's nothing I would do different at this point.  Nothing I would change.

Ok, that's not exactly true.

There is one thing I would change if I could.

Our neighbors.

There is nothing wrong with the neighbors we have.  The ones I have met have been perfectly friendly and I am sure when we all have kids running around that we will get to know each other much better.

However, I miss our old neighbors.

Ralph and Dolores.

They were the BEST neighbors.  Elderly couples always are.  I guess that is as long as you don't hold rowdy parties that are loud and keep them awake through the night. 

Ralph and Dolores were always there to lend a hand.  I mean always.

~  Ralph helped build our old house so he knew some of the ins and outs of it that we weren't ready for when it came time to remodel some of the rooms.

~  They would bring over all kinds of goodies from their garden.  Onions, tomatoes, green peppers, zucchini and even turnips (I didn't enjoy the turnip though...)

~  They would feed the dogs when we were gone.  Ralph would even bring them treats from time to time during the day.  I'm sure the girls miss them too!

~  They watched the house.  Sometimes it seemed as though that's all they did. They could report how many times people stopped by, they picked up packages dropped off by UPS, and let us know when people picked up the interest forms from the "For Sale" sign in our front yard. 

~  Dolores loaned me carpet cleaner when KC got sick with diarrhea all over the house.  I stalled as long as I could before going back to the house and smell of poo. (Secretly hoping that Ethan would get home while I was over there and clean it all up for me.)

~  They let us hang out in their air conditioning one very HOT day this summer when we stupidly decided to take the dogs on a walk while people were looking at our house.  I was about 5 weeks pregnant, sick, and we were both exhausted. 

We are lucky enough to still be close enough to them and go to the same church that we are able to still see them pretty often.  I just wish there was a way we could have moved them out here with us across the street. 

And I sure hope the guy who bought our house knows how good he has it!

No comments: