Monday, January 26, 2009

How to Survive the Cold

I absolutely HATE the cold weather. I feel that it is only appropriate on a couple of occasions; Christmas and snow days. Other than that, it can just remain sunny and 70 all year round. There is good reason for me hating the cold. I lived in college in a very old and drafty house. We literally used duct tape on the door to cover the cracks. Once I moved out of that cold drafty crap hole I moved into a smaller and colder crap hole in Cheney. It has no insulation, none. I can literally feel cold air when I open my cabinets. Therefore, I keep the house heated at 70, but still freeze (and pay for it). I will find a different place to live, but I am picky.

I have had to learn to become quite creative on keeping warm and thought I would make a of things that I have tried and have been somewhat successful and warming me up.

10. Clean the house from top to bottom, all that movement will warm you up...you might even get sweaty.

9. Coffee, hot chocolate, or tea...anything warm to drink will help for a little while. Problem: Only lasts a short time AND usually makes you have to get out from under the warm blankets to pee.

8. Piles of blankets...the more you pile on the warmer you are...all but your nose.

7. Duct tape, plastic, and towels or blankets used to cover drafty areas

6. Space Heaters: Although I don't have one here in Cheney...it would be a good investment I think.

5. Friction: Climb into bed and move your legs and arms around as fast as possible. Warming up the bed with friction and a great way to burn a few extra calories before sleep :)

4. Cook with the oven: Warms up the kitchen...and you can let it cool off when you are finished by leaving it wide open!

3. Laptop Computers: They are warm when they heat up, set it on your lap for a cozy IM chat or searching google.

2. Electric Blankets: Best thing ever!

And the #1 way to beat the cold: Date someone who's house is warmer and cuddle under the blankets at his house!

No comments: