Sunday, October 5, 2008

Little Bryson

My little nephew, Bryson, turned one this week. I cannot believe how fast the last year has gone, or how big he has gotten. It has been so fun to sit back and watch him grow up through the pictures his mom posts. As I picked out his birthday present (an array of bath toys his mama said he needed) I started thinking about the time before he was born and how all lives have changed since.

When my brother found out that he would be a father, it was not the "picture perfect" scenario that everyone wants. Joe was going to school at Pratt and had just started baseball practice at the end of January. I was in my first year teaching at Cheney about an hour away, and was coaching basketball on a Monday night. After a game I saw that I had a missed call from Joe and naturally called him back. It was late, I was tired, and already laying in bed planning on wishing him a good night and talking to him later. The phone call lasted much longer than expected. He told me that Andrea was pregnant and that he was going to be a father. My heart sank...this is not what I expected. He was the LAST person who was ready to have a child. All his dreams of playing baseball out of state, trying to get through college, and living the life of a normal college student were going to disappear. I was devastated for him. I held my composure during the phone call, being as supportive as I possibly could and told him I loved him and I would talk to him again tomorrow. After hanging up the phone, I cried and cried...I was so sad for him. I prayed that night...for the first time in a long time.

Within the next 9 months everyone slowly started to come to the realization of the situation. Ready or not it's coming and whether we were happy, sad, mad, or still in shock a baby would be here soon. I watch Joe and Andrea grow up considerably in that short time. They picked out a name, planned baby showers, and moved to the same town. I waited anxiously for the phone call of my new little nephew...and he came on October 1, 2007. I looked at the pictures that night and saw my brother become a different man. It was obvious the pride he felt holding little Bryson and how proud he was of Andrea and all that she had went through.

In the last year, I have watched Joe and Andrea deal with so many ups and downs of raising a new born. And you know, the aren't perfect...both of them make mistakes. But that is true of anyone trying to raise a child. They have grown up, learned through mistakes, and loved Bryson with all their hearts. Whenever people meet Bryson, the reaction is always a good one. He is such a HAPPY baby, good with people, and loves attention. His parents have done a great job, and it would be impossible to think of life without him.

The last year has been a whirlwind of firsts for Joe, Andrea, and Bryson. And the great thing is...each year will bring more and more "firsts" with it.

1 comment:

Casey said...

This is beautiful, Jill! Children and families are life's biggest blessings--no matter how or when they come together! And part of what has helped Andrea, Joe, and Bryson is the loving support of their families. You are a big part of their success, too!