Thursday, December 27, 2012

The Hits and Misses of our Christmas Break

Here are some of the highlights (and low-lights) of Christmas 2012!

Hit:  Jackie meeting Santa Claus!  What a good little baby we have.  Of course Ethan and I already know this :).  She has always been really good around new people, but lately been hitting the "stranger danger" phase.  As long as mommy or daddy is close by, Jackie warms up to the new faces pretty quickly.  Lucky for Santa, daddy and I weren't far away (or out of sight). 

Miss:  Due to some recent misfortune we were without a camera for the Christmas Season.  Thankfully we have some great friends who came in to capture many "firsts" for Jackie.  Thank you to Kim and Peggy for helping us out!

Hit:  Christmas decorations and lights!  Technically this is our second Christmas in this house, but since we closed on the sale of the house on Christmas Eve last year, this is the first year we get to decorate for the season.  Ethan braved the heights and put some very pretty lights on our house.  It didn't scare him off though, he's talking about doing more next year :).  I had fun placing the festivities around the inside of the house, with some trial and error.  I predict next year I'll have all the placement figured out and everything will be fabulous!

Miss:  Our tree was too wide for the place we wanted it to go.  Not putting it up for two years, I forgot just how big it was.  The location we wanted was a neat little corner of the family room.  However, the entire tree would have blocked the walk-way and stuck out WAY too far.  So I only put up the front half of the branches.  Yes...it did look dorky.  I didn't even end up putting any ornaments on it.  Just lights.  Next year we will purchase a pre-lit tall skinny tree and put the big one downstairs. 

Hit:  As much as I whined and moaned about having to have an in-service day the Friday before Christmas break, it ended up being a blessing in disguise.  I left my desk and classroom all straightened up and ready to go for the new semester.  Now, on our workday before kids come back I can focus on finalizing grades and planning for January.  It feels so good to know I get to go back to work to a clean classroom.

Miss:  I did not apply that same effort to my house.  I got home from our in-service on Friday (knowing full well that we were leaving for B-town before 8AM Saturday morning) and wrestled with a battle within.  The "what I don't want to do" vs. the "what I REALLY don't want to do."  I didn't want to come home from my parents to a messy house, but I REALLY didn't feel like doing any cleaning up.  Guess which side won??  If you said the "REALLY" you would be correct.  Of course if I would have even THOUGHT ahead for a MOMENT I would have remembered that we would be getting back to the house with a few hours to spare before heading to Christmas Eve Dinner at Ethan's parents' house, and I needed to make TWO breakfast casseroles that night after dinner, and a dessert before Christmas dinner on Sunday.  Needless to say my kitchen was a DISASTER area for a couple of days.  Lesson learned.  Next time power through and clean up BEFORE leaving!

Hit:  We were able to take a family Christmas photo in front of our half-tree with white lights.

Miss:  The picture is in need of some cropping because "someone" didn't have her fly zipped up.  Jackie was in a dress...  (I believe that would be what my students would call, a picture fail!)

Hit:  Jackie had SO MUCH FUN these last few days playing with grandparents, reading (or turning the pages) of her new books, and wearing her stylish new clothes. 

Miss:  Naps were is short supply for a couple of days.  There was just too much going on to sleep.  I think she is making up for it today.  Slept for 12 hours last night, took a 3 1/2 hour morning nap, and is currently working on nap #2. 

Hit: We will be meeting up with my side of the family in a couple of days to celebrate my grandparents' 60th WEDDING ANNIVERSARY!  Ethan and I are so lucky to be surrounded by so many wonderful examples of marriage and a lifetime of love.

Miss:  The break is going way too fast...can we get another week??? 

No comments: