Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Good vs. Great

What is the difference?

What makes something GREAT as opposed to just good, and when you compare something, just how much better is great than good?

I recently came across my portfolio that I created to take along to interviews for teaching jobs.  My resume, my teaching philosophy, and my goals.

I stopped at my goals and just looked at it.

"To be Kansas Teacher of the Year."

I was serious.  I remember as if it was yesterday writing that down.  I remember that feeling of wanting to be like so many of the great teachers I had while in school.  Inspiring learning and motivating students to be their best.  Pouring my heart and soul into something that was so worthwhile.

So where am I today on the road to achieving my goal?

I believe I took a different turn.  Not a bad turn, not a less passionate turn, just a different one.

You see.  When I go back and think about all the teachers who I would classify as "great" and in the category of "Teacher of the Year" they all had one of two things in common.

They were either single, or sacrificed time with family to become great.

And there's the difference between good and great.  Great involves many sacrifices in order to get there.  No matter what you're doing.  Sports, work or family.  To be "great" at something means sacrificing other things.

I still have a passion for teaching.  I love it.  I sill believe in inspiring students and making a classroom that promotes motivation, but I'm not great.  I'm not willing to sacrifice time with my family to be a great teacher.

It goes the other way too.  Everywhere I look, I see "great" moms out there.  Making cute little crafts with their kids, sewing buttons back on, playing new games, teaching their babies sign language, basically creating all those pins on pinterest that make me feel like I'm not cutting it as a mommy.  All while never having a dirty dish in the sink, load of laundry unfolded, or surface dusty.

Most of those moms are stay at home moms.  They can devote their entire lives to being the best mom there is.

Again, that's not me.  While yes, someday, I do hope to have to opportunity to stay home with my kids at least part of the time, I'm not there yet.  I enjoy going to work.  Jackie loves going to daycare and playing with the other kids.  We're good.

I can be a good teacher and a good mom.

And I feel great about that!

1 comment:

Casey said...

Several years ago, my mother gave Mackenzie and me this framed quote for Mother's Day:

"The most important thing she'd learned over the years was that there was no way to be a perfect mother and a million ways to be a good one."--Jill Churchill