Sunday, September 16, 2012

Spoiled?


I read an article this past week that talked about spoiled American children.  (Click HERE to read the article) I think that every generation feels that the new generation is spoiled. 

"I didn't have that by the time I was your age!"
"You don't know how lucky you've got it."

"You should see what my first cell phone looked like...it came in a BAG!"

"When I have kids someday they will NOT have all these things other kids have..."

Then somewhere along the way kids end up with more technology than they know what to do with.  I have students who say their family can't afford to pay for a 15$ t-shirt, but their 13-year-old carries an iPhone.

I don't even have an iPhone (or a smart phone for that matter...)

This is something that I worry about with Jackie.  We live in a technology-rich society and I am sure she will learn in school a totally different way than I learned, or am even teaching now.  She will go to school with some type of tablet-something-or-other attached to her hip.  That is if she actually goes to a school at all.  Who knows everything could be all virtual by then...  Not to mention her daddy works in the technology field.  It is literally his job to stay up-to-date with current technology.

Technology will be her life, and there's really no way of avoiding that.

So I worry about her being spoiled with things.

However, this article made me feel a little better.

It talked about spoiled American children doesn't necessarily refer to the things they have, but rather what they will and won't DO.

Hmmm....

When I think about the kids (or 20somethings who graduate from college expecting to be handed a $60,000+ job right away) I believe to be "spoiled,"  it really doesn't matter what they have.  They could have nothing and still act spoiled. 

They never offer to help with anything.

Nothing is ever their fault.

Want NOTHING to do with ANYTHING that MIGHT pose a challenge, or that they would have to actually WORK for.

There's where to put the time and effort into parenting.  Making children responsible for SOMETHING.  Give them chores, teach them EARLY ON to be a functioning part of the family.  There are things even toddlers can learn to do.  Sort the silver-ware into the correct place, help move clothes from washer to dryer, pick up their toys, and so on...  They may not want to do it, they may not like to do it, but they NEED to learn to do it. 

And that is where we will work with Jackie (and any future siblings).  She will probably have "things" that will cause older generations to think she is spoiled, but hopefully when she goes to dinner at a friend's house, she will offer to help clear the table.

No comments: