Monday, September 3, 2012

Lately...

Life has been a little hectic the last few weeks.  Here's what's been goin' on!

~  My brother-in-law and his family came to visit from New Jersey.  We hadn't seen them since the wedding. (two years)  It was great to get to spend time with them the last few weeks.  

~  I made the transition from just full time mommy to fully time teacher/coach and mommy.  Jackie made her transition to going to daycare during the week and spending much of her late afternoons and early evenings with daddy.  There's still quite a bit of adjusting to do...on my part.  Everyone else seems to have handled the transition quite well.

~  My little brother tied the knot!  In a beautiful wedding, to a beautiful lady, on a warm summer day.  It was a great time!  And I am so thankful that he picked a holiday weekend to get married.  I think we all needed this extra day of "rest" to be ready for work again!

~  Jackie has TWO teeth!  I cannot believe how soon her teeth decided to come in.  I knew she was teething about a month ago, but now we've got some sharp little biters on her bottom gums!

~  I have found that I am not as good at reacting to last minute changes now that I am a mommy.  I used to pride myself on being the "roll with the flow" type of person/teacher.  Now, however, these last minute changes equal time away from my baby.  I.do.not.like.it!

~  Along with rolling with the flow... I had to buy some formula for the first time today.  I felt so stupid.  There are TONS of different kinds and options.  Which one do I pick?  I didn't expect to be buying any formula, but the stress of recent weeks, plus decreased time of actual nursing (there is a big difference between a machine and a baby...) has resulted in a decrease in my milk supply.  I just cannot keep up with bottles for daycare, bottles for daddy, milk for baby food, and add on top of that game nights where another bottle or two are needed for daddy in the evening and before bedtime.  So, I decided to go for the one labeled "with the nutrients found in breast milk."  I hope Jackie will take it...we'll find out tonight.

~  Ethan is loving the transition.  He is getting to spend a lot of quality time with his little girl, and they are both enjoying it!  Jackie is such a happy baby.  We are so lucky to have a good baby!.

~  Jackie has discovered "Peek-a-boo."  She just giggles and giggles when mommy or daddy pop up from behind the couch saying "here I am!"

~  I had to make a cut-back.  I knew my fall would be a busy one, just as it always is, but this time with an added job of full time mommy, I just couldn't handle everything.  I painfully decided to cut out helping with our Church's youth religion program through September and October.  I will pick it up again in November when I am no longer coaching.  I just couldn't do another night away from home.

~  We scheduled our first family photos.  We decided to go for fall, when the weather would be cool and crisp.  Our photographer?  A high school Senior who I used to teach in middle school.  For those of you who know my husband and his part-time photography hobby.  You will understand how good these pictures must be for him to want to go to someone else!   I can't wait.  Now if I can just get a wardrobe all picked out...

~  Jackie has tried 3 foods.  Rice cereal, which she had gotten pretty good at.  Avocados...a little scary at first, but then she seemed to take to them really well.  And sweet potatoes just this weekend.  Not so sure about the sweet potatoes right now.  She seems to have back-tracked and won't eat anything off a spoon right now.  I think we'll give it a few nights and then try again.

~  I had the PERFECT S'more last night!  Mallows were toasted and melted just right, the Reese's bar I put on was just the right ratio of chocolate to peanut butter (never tried a Reese's on a S'more...you're missing out!), and the graham was crunchy and didn't break all over when I took a bite.  It's probably a good thing I only ever let myself have one!

~  I finished my 24 day challenge.  Results were very good.  10 lbs. lost (and still slowing losing) and about 9 inches.  I feel good and have been able to continue a lot of the program just on my own.  Smarter choices, but still getting my s'more every now and then :)

~  Jackie LOVES the computer or the I-Pad or Ethan's smart phone.  She is amazed with all the buttons and bright lights.  Raising a baby in the technological age...

~  We have really enjoyed the last couple weeks and some of the cooler temperatures that came with it.  I think we will definitely enjoy the fall and some evening and weekend walks with the cooler weather. 

~  I have been to a zoo 4 times this summer.  The Wichita Zoo three times and the Omaha Zoo once.  Guess how many times I have seen my favorite animal.  ZERO!  The hippos just haven't been out when I come by.  Yes, the hippos are my favorite.  Such an under-appreciated animal!

No comments: