Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Crap!

As a new parent I am not naive when it comes to the fun little "surprises" kids can leave you when your eyes just happen to drift away from them for a nano-second.  I have heard my mom tell the "chocolate pie" incident many times, in which she went to take a shower and I (being at most 3 years old) preceded to get my baby brother out of the crib so we could both indulge in the chocolate pie I raided from the fridge.  There was pie all over my brother, me, and the bedspread where we had our "picnic." 

There are things I expect to have happen at some point in our parenting venture.  Some of those including (but are not limited to) crayons on walls or other surfaces, flower or some other food item spread throughout the kitchen, toilet paper unrolled throughout the house, items tossed in the toilet, and diapers in the wash. 

Fortunately for us we have a little while before those are possible...at least I thought.

That was before this morning and my first load of laundry emerged with all these little white things. 

At first glance I thought it was putty that came from my husband's work jeans, but as more clothes came from the washer I realized that there were way too many of the little things for it to be from the work jeans.  And then I found it.  The diaper.  CRAP. 

(Luckily there was no actual crap in the diaper.)

This was all me.  I couldn't even blame it on Jackie.  She can't pick things up yet.  (Let alone walk or even think that putting a diaper in the washing machine would be a good idea...)

How could I have let that happen? 

Maybe I can blame it on "new mommy lack of sleep." 

That won't work either. Jackie has been a great baby and sleeps at least 4-5 hours at a time.  For a new mommy, I'm getting 6-8 hours of sleep at night.  That excuse won't work. 

My first instinct was to turn to Facebook and all my mommy friends. 

Problem:  All my mommy friends are either working or too busy to be on facebook...I didn't get a reply as fast as I wanted.  (Not the fault of my mommy friends...)

Solution:  Google it.

I love Google.  I typed in "Diaper in" and it automatically filled in "washing machine" for me.

The first link took me to a mommy blog called Melodramommy where she had great advice that she had used AND what two of the diaper manufactures suggested!  Great find!

I chose to go with Pampers:
  1. Run washer on and extra rinse cycle and wipe the inside of the washing machine.  It should be fine after that.
  2. Put load of laundry into the dryer as is (with the jelly beads)
  3. Drying laundry will cause gel beads to bead up and fall off clothing, most beads will collect in lint filter.
  4. You may need to dry laundry longer than normal
  5. When laundry is done shake it outside.
Thankfully Pampers seems to know what they're talking about!  Clothing came out gel free and washer is cleaned.  

At least I'll know what to do if this happens again!

No comments: