Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Summer Days

I am a teacher, a middle school teacher to be exact. Whenever I tell people that I teach I usually get one of the following responses...

~ Oh, we need good teachers (not that they usually have any clue whether or not I am a good teacher)

~ I wish I would have been a teacher, but I couldn't live on that salary (it is possible folks!)

~ Ohhh (usually followed by a grimacing face) I don't know how you stand those hormonal teenagers...I love that age! Maybe it's because I'm younger than most of their other teachers, maybe it's because I have a sense of humor and will laugh with them, maybe I'm still a teenager at heart, whatever it is...I seem to click with that "awkward age."

One of the big perks of teaching is obviously having those wonderful 3 (well...actually 2 1/2) months off. I love my job, but I really enjoy summer time. For the first time in 10 years I took the summer off. No job. I was really concerned with this decision do to the fact that I live in a very small town with literally NO ONE my age who is not married with kids. Not the ideal place for a social life... But I was still optimistic figuring that I could fill my days with swimming at the Y, getting things done around the house, and working on a pretty big "to-do" list for the classroom.

Turns out, summer was great. Swimming 5-6 days a week, spending time with family and friends, camping at the lake, watching episodes of Sopranos (a new found addiction, thanks to great recommendation from a friend and Netflix), and updating/organizing school stuff. For the first time summer has been relaxing and not just "flown by" in a rush.

Someone said, "All good things must come to an end." I'm not sure I believe that..."good things" just evolve into "new things." Summer is ending, but school is almost here and I am ready to be busy again!

No comments: