Sunday, July 20, 2014

Weekly Top 10

I like to take ideas that other people create, tweak them just a bit, and then pass it off as a cool "new" thing.

What???

I'm a teacher.  It's what we do.

I always give due credit to where the ideas come from.

As the title suggests the idea comes from Letterman's "Top 10" segment.

My tweak is that it is all about us here at Weber Haus.  What we did, who we are, and what took place around our not-so-picture-perfect home.

My purpose of this is twofold.  1:  I want to get more consistent with my blogging.  This is probably one of the only records my kids will have of their childhood.  This and an unorganized file of a bazillion pictures.  I'm not that great at all the milestone charting and scrapbooking stuff.  2:  I want this to be a real picture of what goes on here.  I feel like so many times what we (society...) post online is not a true representation of ourselves or our home.  We put out this picture perfect, all smiles type of life.  That's not reality.  So while much of the weekly top 10 will be some of my favorite things, I hope that it also paints a true, honest picture of how cool we are...because of our imperfections and unfolded laundry.

So here we go.  My first "Top 10"

*These are in no particular order, just when I thought about them at the time.

**This is long.  No apologies.


10 - Rock.  When we first moved in to our house over two and a half years ago, my parents offered to buy us a housewarming gift.  They wanted to get us one of those cool rocks with our last name chiseled out of it.  Cool!  I love those rocks.  We wanted to wait until our landscaping was finished before getting it so we would know right where we wanted to put it.  As I mentioned in an earlier post, found here, it took us a few years to get that done.  Ethan and I planned a day to travel to the town of Larned to pick it up.  We arranged for my sister to watch the girls while we headed out for a kid-free day.   We are SUPER happy with the way the rock turned out and would recommend the guy to anyone, so fee free to ask.

See our lovely landscaping... That pretty grass-like stuff that surrounds the rock.  Want some??? Super easy to get and low maintenance.  They're weeds.  Ugh!

9 - Cooler days.  Oh my this is awesome!  Thanks to the Polar Vortex in July I got to bust out the leggings and shirts with sleeves.  (Seriously...sleeves choke me in the summer.  I don't wear them.  It's tank tops and cut-offs all summer long!)  This also meant spending a couple of days inside, because along with the cooler air came a steady drizzle of rain off and on for the majority of two days.  Life at home with two little one shoots up to cabin fever mode REALLY fast.  That meant breaking one of the major rules of summer at Weber Haus.  NO OVEN.  Thanks to 68 degree days we got to do some baking!  Banana bread on Wednesday...bad move on my part.  I love banana bread (I think I ate the first loaf before it completely cooled off) and it just added to the mess and dishes in the kitchen.  And Jackie needed a second outfit.  But hey...the house smelled like fall and I was in leggings!    We also made some cookies.  It takes every single ounce of my attention to keep my two-year-old out of the uncooked batter before getting all the ingredients in.  She then enjoys the spatula while I scoop out yummy cookies onto the baking sheet.  Again, I ate too many and it made a mess.  BUT it kept us busy for a portion of the day.


 
8 - Folding Laundry.  I, like most mom's I have ever met, hate, Hate, HATE folding laundry.  I can wash and dry it fine, but when it comes to folding it... Well, I usually have to be prodded by my hubby saying he is out of boxers...  Finally on Friday I gave in and put in a movie for the girls to watch so they would be distracted so I could fold the 5 loads of laundry.

 

I really, really wish my girls were in to princesses, Lion King, or any other animated form of entertainment.  That's Jackie in the chair and Kat sitting on the floor fully engrossed in movies of themselves.  Oh well...the laundry got folded.  And put away!

7 - Morning Walks.  We try to take a morning walk each day.  I love it.  Jackie... gets bored.  The only way I can keep her going is "the animals."  The walk is divided into four legs; duckies, deer, horses, and bunnies.  The Duckies are usually a given, and when we see them we have to get as close as possible.  Jackie says "hi duckies" and "bye duckies" and we move on.  The deer are a constant. Every single day they are there.  They are fake.  She loves them and says "hi" and "bye" just the same.  The horses are usually "hiding" but sometimes we get to see them.   The bunnies are my lie to get her to last a little longer.  She saw a bunny in our yard one night and looks for them constantly.  I tell her to look at the end of the last cul-de-sac on our walk.  Then we head home.  This is the extent of the exercise I get.  I will say what I have to.


 
6 - Nap time.  Enough said.

5 - We are working on cutting out little Katerina's morning nap, and what I have found is she will sneak a quick little 10 minute snooze on our way to or from the park, pool, or store.  Basically whenever we are in the car.  That usually gets her to 1:00 when I can put her down for at least an hour and a half (and always hoping for 2).  However, if we don't go anywhere...like during the polar vortex...she hits a wall about Noon.


See that shirt I am wearing.  I think it's from high school, maybe middle school.  Cut off sleeves.  I'm rockin' it, don't ya think?! :o)


I even tried sitting her on the floor to get her to stay awake.  Yeah... it didn't work.

4.  The Park.  I have attempted to take the girls to the, very cool, Sedgwick County Park.  Lots of fun places to play, lots of shade...but LOTS of people.  I have discovered that small town parks are the way to go.  Few people and fun toys to play on.  The girls love it, it is easier than trying to wrangle them both at the pool, and it tires them out for a good afternoon nap (refer to number 6).



3.  The Pool.  Sundays have become the pool day for us.  Why?  There are two of us for the two of them, and if we go to early Mass and then head to the pool after, the girls pretty much get the pool to themselves.  No pool pictures.  Obviously.  (Not Obvious?  Try taking a two-year-old fish and an 8-month-old kind of fish and getting pictures with your smart-phone.  Yeah, not happening.)

2. Katerina is Crawling - I am pretty sure this is good news.  At least I feel like I'm supposed to think it's good news...  However, she doesn't like it.  She wants to be walking, but lacks the balance and strength to do so. So she crawls and gets in to things, but is whining and crying half the time because she doesn't like it.  Jackie is screaming the other half of the time because Kat just touched her blankie.  Oh, Lord it's going to be fun watching them fight for toys...  Eh...I'll just put in their movies and they can sit and watch TV all day.  Kidding.  Kind of...





That is were she ended up.  Got stuck, then got mad.  We took a picture before helping her.  Naturally.


1. Peaches - Two years ago we planted trees.  Two apple trees and one peach.  To be honest, I was REALLY doubtful of the peach tree.  We were in our second summer of record heat and drought and I just didn't see it happening.  Well, I have been proven wrong!  And I've never been happier.  This year we got 8 whole peaches on our peach tree...well, 7.  One fell off :(



Tonight the girls enjoyed the "fruits of our labor."  Those peaches were SO YUMMY, I suggested we get another tree so we can have more! 

Stop by next week (hopefully) for another Top 10!

No comments: