Saturday, June 7, 2014

If I had a Green Thumb

If I had a green thumb...

It wouldn't have taken 2 and 1/2 years for me to get the landscaping done.  By done, I just mean the parts in the front yard visible from the street facing our house.  Look at the sides or back of the house...still weeds.

If I had a green thumb...

I wouldn't have had to cuss my way through a patch of weeds and bugs and dirt.  I really hate everything about those three things.  Weeds. Yuck.  Bugs.  Double Yuck.  Dirt... well, I can handle dirt, but it always seems to come with yuck and double yuck.

If I had a green thumb...

I wouldn't daydream about the beautiful flowers and plants surrounding the house, climbing plants on my mailbox and a beautiful vegetable garden running abundant with tomatoes, onions, jalapenos, and other yummy veggies.  I would have it.

However, throughout the last week I have learned much about working outside with your hands.

Such as...

Even without a green thumb...

I can pull a %^@* ton of weeds on hot days and sweat out bucket of water.  I can keep from screaming and running away from every bug and spider that popped up.  (And there were A LOT so that is saying something).

Even without a green thumb...

I can plant 3 yellow rose bushes (with only one thorn injury) and 3 blue hydrangea bushes with a 2-year-old helper.  She had a BLAST...maybe the green thumb will come with her!  I would gladly let her take over :)
Can you spot the stow-away!





Even without a green thumb...

I can pin down layers of that black crap on my own, on a windy day during nap time.


Even without a green thumb...

I can enlist my sister to help move wheel-barrel loads of rock and spread it out over the large flower bed during the heat of the day...after a workout.  During nap time.


Even without a green thumb...

The hubs and I can pick out and plant really pretty red, white, and blue flowers, finish up the last of the rock and finally put an end to this year's landscaping project.



And finally...

I can find small examples of what I thought was a failed attempt to plant strawberries last year.  Which gets me thinking that maybe my thumb could turn a very light shade of green if I were to plant more strawberries and hope for a whole patch next year!


Greenish thumbs crossed!

1 comment:

Melodie Beth Harris said...

I like the repetition in this post. and the ending is great. Cute pics of the little helper too!