Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Walking the Dogs

I have mentioned before that Ethan has to dogs. KC and Breck. Both are a mixed breed of lab, both were free. I have come to love those dogs as if they were my own. One of my favorite pass times with Ethan is to take the girls for a nice long walk on pretty days. This can be interesting in many ways, but mostly due to the fact that they are both still considered puppies and get overly excited about anything.

Through our many walks Ethan and I have learned how to better handle each pup because each one is so different. So far we have found out...

~ KC will pull your arm out. She is just so excited to be going on a walk that every smell, sight, and noise will get her going.

~ Breck is weird.

~ KC is the larger and older of the two dogs. I walk KC. As mentioned above, KC will pull your arm out if you don't have a good hold. Well...the more you fight her the more she fights back. I have learned to just let her pull on the leash and choke herself. Eventually she gets tired of that and slows down. Ethan is a little less patient...so he walks Breck.

~ Breck will walk anyway, but a straight line. she will walk in zig zags in front of you. She will walk really fast to get ahead of you then stop until you pass her and walk really fast in front of you again. Breck will try to grab onto and chew KC's leash. She will also walk in circles around you. Again...Breck is weird.

~ KC will poop in the middle of the road before you even have time to drag her over to the grass.

~ Breck will bark at everything...but is a little scaredy cat in reality

~ KC will pee about 15 times during a walk.

~ Breck does not like cars.

~ KC wants to chase the cars.

~ Breck has the longest tongue ever!

~ KC gets very slobbery...it's gross.

~ In order to make the girls a little less crazy excited for the walk, we have found if you throw the tennis ball in the back for a bout 10 minutes before we go, they get tired sooner and will walk nicely by your side (except Breck, who can't walk in a straight line)

While Ethan is in Lincoln I am walking the girls by myself. Now there is NO WAY I can do that by myself, so I play with the ball and then put Breck in the cage, while KC and I walk. KC goes in the cage when we get back and it's Breck's turn. We just got by from our first try at this "single" walking method, and I think it went ok...just means there should be many more walks to come!

No comments: