Monday, March 23, 2009

Lengthing the School Year????

Spring break has officially come and gone, with me not at all ready to return to my classroom today. I love my job, but I had a great break and I know what to expect in the last 9 weeks of school. My 8th graders, who have been a delight all year long, will have gained "8th-Grade-itis" meaning they realize they are about to be high schoolers and are WAY TOO COOL to be in the middle school. They then choose to be as annoying as possible and push my every button...

Now...whenever a teacher vents about their job it's not taken too seriously by the other "professionals." Why?? Because of the months June, July, and August. Those who aren't teachers automatically assume that the sole reason we all chose this profession was because of the lovely summer months. Now I will be the first one to admit that I LOVE my summer. BUT I became a teacher because I love working with kids, and wanted a job that I would be happy to get up and go to in the mornings.

I recently read in an article that President Obama would like to extend the school year either by more days on the calender or more hours in a day. Now, Mr. President makes some very big points stating how other countries are developing kids so much faster than we are, and lengthening the time spent in school would be good for our kids' futures. But I ask Mr. President, what about our teacher's present. How many law-makers (including our President) have spent even one week inside of a classroom? Do they realize that we spend more time with these kids than their own parents, that we're responsible for teaching them math, reading, science, budgeting and economics (ha...some of our "experts" must have been absent that day), make sure they get enough exercise, eat the right foods, work on tasks individually, work together in groups, survive the hallways of a middle school, council their emotional needs, teach them manners...I could keep going, but I'm sure you get the point. Does our President realize that I spend 5 days a week for 9 months of the year with 130 middle school kids.

I love my job. But without my summers and breaks I would lose my mind. These kids are great 90% of the time...but they are not my kids. By the end of May I am exhausted. I am short tempered, less patient, and just flat out tired. And I work at a school with VERY GOOD kids...I can't imagine working in some schools with more difficult students in more difficult situations. Teachers need those summers to "re-charge the batteries," and without them, we would quickly run out of juice. Just as much as I am ready for summer by May, come August, I'm rearing and ready to go for a new and exciting school year.

So, Mr. President before you make any big educational decisions, please talk to teachers who have "been there, done that" (and not just the one's who voted for you).

1 comment:

Casey said...

Amen, Sistah!! (I mean cousin) Plus let's factor in how much break a teacher actually gets over that "three month summer vacation" that begins June 1 and ends roughly that same time in August. And that doesn't include summertime spent beefing up lessons, taking classes to keep up one's certificate, creating new bulletin boards...the list is endless.