Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Standing in the Kitchen

For as long as I can remember, I would stand and eat in the kitchen.  I'd hold a bowl of cereal or a plate of eggs and lean back against the counter while I scarfed down my food.  Usually too fast.  

My mom hated it when I did that.  

"Go sit down and enjoy your meal at the table, you don't need to stand."

I don't know why I liked standing in the kitchen to eat.  I just did.  

Now I know.  

It was foreshadowing. 

To life with kids. 

This morning I attempted to sit at the table and eat my breakfast. 

And the following ensued. 

I sit down with my eggs and oatmeal.

Katerina:  "Can I have a bite?"

"Bite pleeeeaaassseee???"

No.

"Want a bite" (in an attempt to crawl on my lap)

Ugh...OK.  One bite and then go away.

Jackie:  "Mommy I want can I have some breakfast please?  I want eggs and sausage."

Katerina: "Me eggs too please!"

Ok...I'm just warming some up that were leftover.

Sit back down to my breakfast...good thing it was too hot to eat right away.  

Katerina: "I have boogies.  Need keenex"

Get up to get Kleenex and wipe a yucky nose.  

Sit back down to breakfast.

Katerina: "This spicy, need drink.  Juice mama..... please"

Get up to get sippy cup of juice left over from yesterday.

Sit back down to breakfast.

Katerina:  "Juice all gone.  More please."

Ugh!  Get up again, fill juice cup.  "Jackie do you want juice?"  (Trying to predict the next question.)

Sit back down and finally finish breakfast.

-------------------------------------------

This is why I stood up to eat.  It was preparation for motherhood.  If I would have stood in the kitchen to eat that breakfast, I wouldn't have had to share bites, and I would have been right within arms reach of all the items the girls required in the early AM.  

No comments: