Thursday, August 13, 2009

The Truth About Marriage

Now that I'm getting married I am constantly getting "advise" from my married friends or coworkers. Sometimes the advise is good and I think "yeah Ethan and I will do that!" Sometimes the advice is funny and I think "oh I can't wait for those silly things to happen to us." And some of the advice is sad or depressing and I think "I am not going to let that happen!"

Here are some of the best...

~ At your wedding make sure you eat something. The first thing your dad and I did when we got to the hotel after the dance was go to the hotel restaurant (it was open 24 hours) and ordered dinner, your dad had stroginoff.

~ The key to a happy marriage is laughter.

~ Once you get married the romance stops. (I highly doubt that one...it doesn't take too much for us to feel romantic. It's amazing how simply holding hands can make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside...I hope that never changes)

~ While you're dating everyone keeps asking when you'll get married. After you get married everyone will start asking when you're going to start having babies.

~ Marriage is about communication and sacrifice. You are no longer living for yourself.

~ Once you get married you won't have to have as much sex with him. HA (that one always makes me laugh...)

~ You will both be obligated to accompany the other to faculty Christmas parties, family gatherings, friends weddings, and anything else that he or she commits you to!

~ A family that prays together, stays together

~ If your marriage can survive long road trips and home remodeling projects, it can survive anything!

~ The best Valentine's Day gift for your husband is a new teddy.

~ After you've been married 30 years you can cut your hair as short as you want. He's stuck with you for that long, he's not going to leave you cause your hair is short.

~ After you have kids make sure that you have a "date night" once a month for just the two of you. Don't wake up 20 years later with the kids off to college and you having to get to know each other again.

~ Make sure the anniversary date is something easy for him to remember, close to his birthday or any other major holiday!

~ Go someplace on your honeymoon that you may never get to go again. It's your honeymoon...you really only get one.

~ You will both lose all sense of Modesty. Once closing the bathroom door to go to the bathroom, you will eventually have one of you on the pot while the other is bushing their teeth. (HAHA)

~ He will want a shop, a man-cave, or some place to "get away"

~ You will want him to have a shop, a man-cave, or some place to "get away"

~ You now have to start shopping for items that are "neutral." Girls don't want to live in a house that looks like a bachelor pad, and Guys don't want to live in a home that looks like a flower garden exploded onto EVERYTHING!

~ With marriage you will work harder than you ever thought. Not just emotionally to keep your relationship strong, but real work. You will fix a toilet, paint walls, plant gardens, help move, and all sorts of physical labor that you didn't think about.

This is just some of the things that I've been advised about marriage. I am sure that Ethan has heard some wonderful tips from his married friends...hmmm, that could be an interesting blog...

2 comments:

Casey said...

I love your list!

Someone told me one time that if you put a penny in a jar for every time you have s*x during the first year of marriage, and take a penny out of the jar every time you have s*x after that your entire married life, you'll always have money in your jar. HA!

Jill said...

Ohhh...yes I have heard that one! HA :)