Monday, August 13, 2012

It's a Trifle!

"It’s a trifle. It’s got all of these layers. First there’s a layer of ladyfingers, then a layer of jam, then custard, which I made from scratch, then raspberries, more ladyfingers, then beef sauteed with peas and onions, then a little more custard, and then bananas, and then I just put some whipped cream on top!"

Many of you die-hard Friend's watchers will recognize this "recipe" as the trifle Rachel Green makes during an episode where she want so badly to prove to her friends that she can cook, something.

Photo from uproxx.com
As you would imagine, the trifle wasn't a big hit. Her friends try as graciously as possible to choke down the odd layers of beef, fruit, and whipped cream.  This is one of my favorite moments in Friends no matter how many times I've seen it.  I mean, really...how can you mess up a trifle! 

The trifle is my "go-to" dessert when I'm in a pinch.

Like today.

Today I started back to work and for some stupid reason said that "yes I would love to make a dessert for the funeral on Monday" when I was called on Saturday morning. 

Sunday rolled through a quickly as Sunday's do, and before I knew it.  I was ready to go to bed and I had not yet made my dessert.

Ugh!

I decided that I would just "wing it" in the morning.

Morning came and I quickly decided that I would just make some layers of crumbled Oreos, instant pudding and whipped cream, and throw in a few strawberries.

I was done in 10 minutes.

But thanks to the beautiful trifle bowl, it looked like I spend hours working up this beautiful dessert.  The ladies at the church Ooohhh-ed and Aaaaww-ed over pretty dessert.

10 minutes. 

That's it.

Thanks trifle bowl.  I will keep you forever!

No comments: