Sunday, November 21, 2010

Beer and Wine

There seems to be a social divide between those who like wine and those who prefer a frosty beer. The stereotype tends to be that the wine drinkers are willing to spend more money for each sip of alcohol. They slowly swirl, smell, and let the wine breathe before taking a nice long sip. The dinners are pared with the type of wine that will compliment the flavors of the dish. While the beer drinkers are the "common folk" of the drinking world. They congregate in local bars and eat deep fat fried foods while cheering on their favorite sports team after a long, hard day at work.

Which one am I??? Both.

Sometimes I think I have split personalities (my husband may agree...). When faced with making decisions, I tend to struggle with my wine side and my beer side. For example...

Decorating the new bathroom:
My Wine Side...wants a neatly decorated and coordinated bathroom with all the matching colors and towels that are perfectly folded and layered.
While my beer side...thinks that is crazy! I want a bathroom that is usable. One where people can use and not be worried about drying their hands on the fluffy towel that just sits there. As long as it's clean, who cares...

Cooking Dinner:
My wine side...wants a simple pasta dish, light salad with a vinaigrette dressing, while the table is neatly set and the dishes all match with napkin holders and of course big pretty wine glasses at each seat.
And my beer side...wants to make pepper-jack stuffed hamburgers with homemade french fries dipped in a beer batter (of course) and fried in the hot oil deep fryer.

Decorating the Christmas Tree:
My wine side loves the pretty color-coordinated trees with a theme and matching Angel topper. Even the wrapping paper compliments the colors of the tree. Every bulb, light, and bow is evenly spaced and the lights add a perfect glow to the living room.
The beer side of me thinks of my mother's tree...nothing about it is in order. The tree is filled with ornaments that my brothers and sister and I created throughout our youth. Popsicle stars and glitter snowmen with our awkward 4th grade picture a spaced throughout the tree. It is like looking back on my life through craft projects and hot glue. I love that tree...

Going on Vacation:
My beer side wants to get a camper and spend our vacations from one camp site to the next, swimming in the lake and roasting marshmallows by the fire.
But my wine side says "you hate bugs" and wants to stay in a nice air conditioned hotel room with a pool and concierge who recommends all the best restaurants.

However there are times when there is no decision to be made. Sometimes it is just a beer day or a wine night...

After coaching a basketball or volleyball game...beer

Cooking Thanksgiving dinner with my mom and sister...wine

Fourth of July...beer

My birthday...wine

Colorado Rockies baseball game...beer (Coors of course)

Get together with the girls...wine

Olive Garden...wine

Granite City Brewery...beer

Rio de Janeiro...Capriahana

Weddings...Jack and Coke!

No comments: