Friday, November 12, 2010

Barefoot in the Kitchen

Over the last few years of my adult life I have enriched and embraced a stronger friendship with my kitchen. I have always had the general knowledge of how to do things in the kitchen, but recently I have found myself really enjoying the time I spend over the stove.

Now, I am no Martha Stewart by any means. I prefer an easier way of doing things (and more lively...sorry Martha, but I'd watch golf on TV before you). My culinary skills are more a cross between my mother and Rachel Ray. Now, I have my issues with Ms. Ray also, so I don't want to be too connected to her, but I have found some of her methods useful and recipes tasty.

I can thank my husband for the increased interest in cooking...for two reasons.

#1: We used to have "Dinner Date Nights" when we were just dating where we would find a new recipe to try and cook it together. I found myself really looking forward to those nights and those recipes. Out of all the new meals we tried, there was only one that we didn't add to the normal rotation. Not too bad of a record.

#2: There may some truth to the old saying "A way to a man's heart is through his stomach." I didn't purposely fix meals that would make him love me, but I took a great amount of pride in cooking a meal that he liked. I found myself looking for recipes that I knew he would enjoy, or that I could modify to make spicier or saucier the way I knew he would like it. And I will admit...I have a few recipes that I know to make if he's had a particularly rough day/week.

I enjoy cooking and I hope that this love stays with me through the years. Since I am sure this is not something I am likely to stop doing anytime soon. :)

No comments: