Friday, June 3, 2011

Burying St. Joseph

Ethan and I are trying to sell our house.

We want to build a new one.


A bigger one.

to hold our "someday" family.


Even before the house went on the market I knew that I wanted a little extra help from "up above" in order to help someone find our home.

The great thing about praying is the vast multitude of those to pray to. There's the obvious God, Jesus, Mary, and the Angels in Heaven. But of course you can't leave out the Saints.

There is a Saint for everything.


Need to find something you've lost? A quick prayer to St. Anthony will do the trick. He's helped me find my keys many times!

Need to sell a house. St. Joseph's your guy!




Praying to St. Joseph is a tradition that was started by St. Teresa of Avila who was a nun who prayed to him because he was the protector of the Holy Family and the patron saint of homes. When the nuns needed more land for convents she encouraged the sisters to pray to St. Joseph for help.



However, the tradition evolved from just praying to him, to burying him in the ground. That story is less pleasant. Apparently in the "old days" when burying St. Joseph, you were to bury him with his head towards the ground and facing the house. Then you were to threaten him and say "I will keep your head in the dirt until you sell my house for me."



That's a little harsh...



So, since I believe in the old saying "you attract more flies with honey" I decided not to threaten the saint, but rather to bury him feet first facing our home out by the FOR SALE sign. I pray to St. Joseph to help someone find our home as nice as we do and want to buy it in a timely fashion


We'll see how it goes!



*I have tried to edit this over and over. Everytime I add pictures to my blog it messes up the spacing all throughout the writing and I can't get it right. Anyone who has any suggestions for making adding the pictures easier that would be much appriciated!

No comments: