Saturday, April 10, 2010

Those people...

There are those people who seem to have a place for everything. No matter what happens their home looks spotless, the bills are stacked neatly in their proper place, the filing cabinet is properly located for easy access and the files are arranged alphabetically, laundry is folded immediately once it emerges from the dryer, dust never has a chance to settle, the bed is made, nothing seems cluttered or misplaced...

I am not one of them.

But I would like to be... I want a spotless house, but many times I choose to enjoy an evening cuddling on the couch with Ethan watching our favorite show. I would love for the filing cabinet to be used for something more than a "catch-all," but as luck would have it, there is rust on the bottom and Ethan doesn't want it on the carpet or kitchen floor...so in a closet is where it stays. The laundry stays in piles of clean clothes until I decide to dedicate my entire Saturday to folding and putting it away (my mother would cringe). When it was hot from the dryer the dogs wanted me to throw the ball with them. In our house, dust is a protective coating for the furniture...or wouldn't I like to think. If the bed gets made it is usually after I get home from work, and only a few hours before we are going to climb in it. We have an ever-growing pile of mail that sits on the counter...I would love to blame it all on Ethan, but I have my fair share of envelopes sitting in the pile.

I guess it comes down to how you look at things in life. I want things organized and cleaned, but I don't want to sacrifice watching a pretty sunset on the porch or cuddling on the couch in order for that to happen. Some people would probably call me lazy, but when I look back on my life I want to remember the sunsets and cuddling, not the dishes and folded laundry.

No comments: