Friday, April 30, 2010

Caught Red Handed

I have a student in my class who is very bright but really struggles socially to know what is appropriate, and has a much lower maturity level than my other 7th graders. He has been known to just take pens off of my desk to use during class. When I catch him, I always make him put it back and then ask permission.

Today the kids were supposed to be working on an assignment and I noticed this particular student looking at his hands that were covered in bright red ink. I went over and asked him if he wanted to go wash his hands. He said “I don’t know what happened.” It was then I noticed that the pen he had was one of mine off the cup on my desk. I asked him if it was my pen and he immediately apologized for taking it. I then told him that I had a red pen leak all over my cup and all the pens were covered with red ink. He just looked up at me with these big brown eyes and said “Caught me red handed!”

I needed that today.

No comments: