Sunday, August 24, 2008

Olympic Fever

For the last two weeks I have been helplessly addicted to my TV from 7:00-11:00 PM. The 2008 Olympics in Beijing kicked off with an exciting opening ceremony, and throughout the last two weeks the "water cooler" talk has been of little else. I love the summer Olympics. I find myself sitting alone on the couch yelling and cheering for the swimming relays, giving my own "expert" opinion as to why Nastia Lukin should have received the gold on the uneven bars, and watching with excitement as May and Walsh take their second gold.

It is so exciting to see some of the more little known sports gaining attention during Prime Time. Sports enthusiasts all over the country settle themselves in to discuss the techniques of fencing and what exactly the rules are for rowing. Even those who couldn't tell the difference between a soccer ball and a volleyball get caught up in the Olympic Magic!

Many athletes dream of some day going to the Olympics and representing their country competing for gold, however very few get to see that dream come true. As a coach I see all kinds of athletes come through the gym each year, all having something different to offer. Yes, there will always be those "God-given talented athletes" who's name appears in every article of the newspaper as the top scorer, and they are to be celebrated. But what about the athlete who continues to go out for the sport they love year after year, knowing that they will rarely see their name in the paper or be offered that scholarship. They are there for one reason...the love of the game and a desire to be a part of something that requires a TEAM of people. They are the true athletes. They push themselves to run hard and touch that line, for little or no recognition.

So here's to all our athletes, the Olympic Champions and the Senior football player who goes in for one snap all year. You inspire me! (And keep me up much later than I like to be :-) )

No comments: