Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Nap Time

I have to admit it.  I haven't been one who has been too sentimental about different stages the girls go through as they grow.  I didn't cry when I stopped nursing them or when I put away size 1 diapers.  Talking, daycare, old enough for activities at the Y...non of those made me feel all sad because my babies were growing up.

I really think this is more because I have been more excited about the new "stage" they are entering than sad about leaving a stage behind.  However, today I resigned myself to give in and let Jackie leave a stage behind that I am truly sad about.

Naps.

I knew it was coming by spring time this year.  She was taking shorter naps and even had a few days here or there where I would catch her just playing and not really sleeping.  Throughout the summer, she would nap two or three days in a row and then it would be a battle to get her to stay in the room and sleep the fourth day.

And today, I made the weekday decision to stop making her take a nap.  This decision did not come easy.  I cherish nap time.  Because it's also my rest time.  My time to watch Netflix, work on school stuff, or eat a snack without beggars wanting bites.

There is one time I look forward to more than nap time.  Bedtime.   The last few nights have been a real bear to get Jackie to stay in her room after teeth, prayers, and story.  Fighting us and getting our of bed for a good two hours.  (Any guesses how long nap time usually lasts??)

So I gave in.  Hoping that taking nap time away would make for easier bed time, at least during the week.  Weekends are a little more flexible for now, plus she may just be all tuckered out by the weekend and need a little snooze to get her through.

I just hope Katerina lasts a couple more years...

No comments: