Saturday, June 16, 2012

One of the Good Ones

A couple weeks ago, we went back to my hometown to visit my parents.  Sunday morning found us in the pew of my old parish with our wonderful new little family.  Grandma was so excited to show off Jackie to her friends and grandpa even got to hold her when she woke up for a while.  But when Jackie got a little fussy and needed a diaper change she was passed back down the pew towards us.  Before I could even move to grab the diaper bag, Ethan scooped up Jackie and the bag and said, "I'll take care of it."

Now, this was not a surprise to me.  Ethan has always been more than willing to take care of Jackie and anything she might do.  I think he was actually happy to find out that there was a baby changing station in the men's bathroom at our own parish, because that meant that he could take care of her.

Apparently this was a surprise to others.

We left for home right after mass was over, Jackie needed to eat and it looked like it might rain.  My parents stuck around to chit chat for a few minutes.  When they got home mom preceded to tell me that my husband was the topic of discussion.

I guess when Ethan got up to take Jackie out of church, one of the younger wives in back sitting with her family turned to her husband and said "See...that's how it's done."  The general consensus after mass was that my husband probably impressed many moms out there who are usually the ones to take a fussy baby out the back, and at the same time receiving glaring eyes from the dads.

On the eve of Ethan's first Father's Day I couldn't imagine sharing this day with a better husband and father.  He has been involved from day one.  Helping pick out names, clothes, decor, changing diapers, feeding, and especially holding his little girl.  For someone who was so scared for his new role as dad, he sure has figured it out fast. 

I just hope that someday Jackie and her siblings are aware of just how lucky they are to have one of the good ones. :o)

No comments: