Saturday, December 4, 2010

Christmas Lights

I love Christmas lights. All kinds; big, small, white, multicolored. I love how they welcome me into the Christmas season with their twinkling. I love to see how different families put up their lights each year. My parents always have a single string of white lights lining the front of our house with a big white star on the peak of our roof. While my neighbor has every possible type of light up in no particular order. Last year Ethan and I had blue lights in our bushes. This year we added a nice big tree with white lights to the front window.

I think my love for lights comes from a tradition that my family has done every year that I can remember Christmas. Each Christmas Eve we would load up in the car/van/station wagon...all of us, even the dogs (this got increasingly harder as we got older) and drive around the town looking at all the pretty lights. We knew that while we were gone looking at lights Santa would begin his journey around the world with our house. So of course as soon as we went around the block we all asked and begged to go back home straight away and see if Santa had made it yet. Mom and dad always made us continue all throughout the town. I'm very thankful they did.

Ethan even helped add to the Christmas season by taking me around Wichita to see all the beautiful lights the rich people put up when we were dating! I can't wait to do it again this year. :)

No comments: